Ready to quit your day job and freelance full time? This episode is perfect for you! You may think you know what to expect but you may be surprised at the challenges that you will face making that transition.
In this episode, I will share the steps that will set you up for success before you leave your day job. You will learn how to prepare for your resignation, set up your freelance space, and how to and have retainer clients before you give your notice.
Be sure to join my group of strategic freelancers, varying from newbies to those running six-figure businesses, Mastering Your Freelance Life with Laura.
Here are some things we covered in this episode:
- Know your why for leaving your day job
- Why hating your day job isn’t enough for leaving
- How to stay motivated
- How to prepare for your resignation
- Considerations to expect when you give your notice
- Why you should have a financial buffer before you leave
- Preparing for health insurance as a freelancer
- Using the Freelancer’s Union as a resource
- How to set up your office space at home
- Setting your office hours
- When to start marketing yourself
- Setting up your business bank account
- How to get referrals and open the conversation with potential clients
- The importance of checking your tech and taking inventory
- Where to find freelance work
- Determining how much client work you can handle
- When to reach out to clients for availability
- You are not alone – Join my freelance group: Mastering Your Freelance Life with Laura
- Laura’s Takeaway: “Every freelancer I know has had some type of job before they freelance that was either the entire reason they decided to go freelance or a big part of the reason and so know that you’re not alone. There are many other people out there like you. And the more that you can surround yourself with similar people in that position, and feel like you’re getting the support of others who have made that leap, you will feel a lot more excited about doing it. And you will feel less scared around the process of leaving.”
After listening to this episode, share your action steps and take-aways with our group:
Connect With Laura:
Laura Briggs is empowering the freelance generation. Through her public speaking, coaching, and writing, she helps freelancers build the business of their dreams without sacrificing all their time, family, or sanity. Laura burned out as an inner-city middle school teacher before becoming an accidental freelancer with a Google search for “how to become a freelance writer.” Since then, she’s become a contributor to Entrepreneur, Business Insider, and Writer’s Weekly. She worked for more than 300 clients around the world including Microsoft, Truecar, and the Mobile Marketing Association. She’s delivered two TEDx talks on the power of the freelance economy for enabling freedom and flexibility and how it’s being used to address the technical skills gap in the U.S. Laura is the host of the Advanced Freelancing podcast, a sought-after public speaker on the gig and digital freelance economy, and a freelance coach focused on aspiring six-figure freelancers. Laura’s books, courses, and coaching have reached over 10,000 people.
As a military spouse, Laura is passionate about serving her community and founded Operation Freelance, a nonprofit organization that teaches veterans and military spouses how to become freelancers and start their own business.https://oembed.libsyn.com/embed?item_id=19656152