Every freelancer needs to have project management skills. In your own business, you wear all the hats. To be successful and take on as many clients as you would like, self-managing your projects and deadlines is vital to sustainability and growth.
Your clients will have varying levels of organizational skills. You need to be sure that your clients are not overtaking your schedule preventing you from meeting your deadlines.
In this episode, I will share the four things that you must organize to be effective with project management and the skills and tools that you need.
Here are some things we covered in this episode:
- Why you have to self manage your own deadlines and projects
- The four things you must organize to be effective with project management
- Why you need to know your bandwidth
- How to organize your pipeline
- Why you should continue to market yourself when you are fully booked
- How to organize administrative tasks for your own business
- My favorite project management tip for freelancers
- Examples of project management tools
- How to break down your tasks so that you do not get overwhelmed
- Why you cannot count on your clients to be organized
- Ways to communicate with your client
- Navigating the project workflow and creating systems
After listening to this episode, share your action steps and take-aways with our group:
Connect With Laura:
Laura Briggs is empowering the freelance generation. Through her public speaking, coaching, and writing, she helps freelancers build the business of their dreams without sacrificing all their time, family, or sanity. Laura burned out as an inner-city middle school teacher before becoming an accidental freelancer with a Google search for “how to become a freelance writer.” Since then, she’s become a contributor to Entrepreneur, Business Insider, and Writer’s Weekly. She worked for more than 300 clients around the world including Microsoft, Truecar, and the Mobile Marketing Association. She’s delivered two TEDx talks on the power of the freelance economy for enabling freedom and flexibility and how it’s being used to address the technical skills gap in the U.S. Laura is the host of the Advanced Freelancing podcast, a sought-after public speaker on the gig and digital freelance economy, and a freelance coach focused on aspiring six-figure freelancers. Laura’s books, courses, and coaching have reached over 10,000 people.
As a military spouse, Laura is passionate about serving her community and founded Operation Freelance, a nonprofit organization that teaches veterans and military spouses how to become freelancers and start their own business.https://oembed.libsyn.com/embed?item_id=19656152