Has a client asked you to sign a non-compete agreement? This can leave you feeling confused and unsure of whether or not to take on the client.
Today, I will dig into what a non-compete agreement is, what red flags to look out for, and how you can negotiate the agreement and move forward (or not) with your prospective client.
Here are some things we covered in this episode:
- What is a non-compete agreement and when is it used?
- Should I sign a non-compete agreement?
- What should I look for?
- Should I get an attorney to look at the agreement?
- Will it hold up in court?
- Do I have to sign the non-compete to work with the client?
- How to negotiate the agreement
- How a non-compete differs from a non-disclosure agreement
- How a non-compete benefits your client
- Red flags to look out for to know when companies are taking advantage of non-competes
- Check out episode 94 for more information: https://betterbizacademy.com/podcast/contracts-101-for-freelancers-with-mariam-tsaturyan-ep094/
- Laura’s Quote of the Week: “Know your rights…don’t forget your right to read through it, to attempt to negotiate it, and to simply refuse to sign one”.
After listening to this episode, share your action steps and take-aways with our group:
Connect With Laura:
Laura Briggs is empowering the freelance generation. Through her public speaking, coaching, and writing, she helps freelancers build the business of their dreams without sacrificing all their time, family, or sanity. Laura burned out as an inner-city middle school teacher before becoming an accidental freelancer with a Google search for “how to become a freelance writer.” Since then, she’s become a contributor to Entrepreneur, Business Insider, and Writer’s Weekly. She worked for more than 300 clients around the world including Microsoft, Truecar, and the Mobile Marketing Association. She’s delivered two TEDx talks on the power of the freelance economy for enabling freedom and flexibility and how it’s being used to address the technical skills gap in the U.S. Laura is the host of the Advanced Freelancing podcast, a sought-after public speaker on the gig and digital freelance economy, and a freelance coach focused on aspiring six-figure freelancers. Laura’s books, courses, and coaching have reached over 10,000 people.
As a military spouse, Laura is passionate about serving her community and founded Operation Freelance, a nonprofit organization that teaches veterans and military spouses how to become freelancers and start their own business.https://oembed.libsyn.com/embed?item_id=19656152