If you’ve always wanted to work with nonprofits or if you’re a writer who wants to broaden your skillset, have you ever considered grantwriting? It’s a different form of copywriting when compared with things like sales copy, but nonprofits frequently don’t have the resources to write their own grants. These grants are key for their funding, so it’s vital they outsource to a freelance grantwriter.
In this episode, you’ll hear from veteran grantwriter Teresa Huff so that you can decide whether or not you should be a freelance grantwriter and what it really looks like. We cover a lot in this episode as a teaser for you to consider your next steps and whether you want to learn more about becoming a freelance grantwriter.
Some of the most important topics we covered in this episode include:
- What a grantwriter actually does in helping nonprofits achieve their missions.
- Why using a mentor was critical for Teresa to learn about something that’s both writing-based and somewhat technical and specific in nature.
- What you need to know about nonprofits and how they work so that you can speak to them as your target client.
- How Teresa decided that grantwriting would work really well with her personality and her individual writing style and how to tell which personality traits will help you if you add grantwriting to your services.
- How to set client expectations when you’re working as a freelance grantwriter and what role educating the client plays
- Why it might be best to start small when you’re just dipping your toes into the water as a grantwriter.
If you listened to this episode and don’t yet have a copy of How to Start Your Own Freelance Writing Business, get your copy now!
Teresa Huff is a Grant Strategist and Content Writer who has helped nonprofits triple their funding. She has a Master’s in Education and 20+ years of experience in writing, education, and business.
She’s figured out how to survive (and thrive!) in her geeky introverted life while working from home and juggling her kids, husband, and a crazy chihuahua.
After winning several million dollars in funding for schools and nonprofits, her goal is to now equip other freelance writers to change the world. To get started, take her free quiz “Do you have what it takes to be a grant writer?” at teresahuff.com/bizquiz.
Connect with Teresa:
Grant Writer Mentoring: www.teresahuff.com
Nonprofit and Small Business Strategy: www.AdeoDevelopment.com