Having an onboarding system shows your client that you are a professional and establishes boundaries and clear communication. During this time, you will set the tone for the entire working relationship.
Onboarding is the process of welcoming new clients into your business, addressing their questions and concerns, and ensuring they understand the services that are available to them that you both have agreed upon. This is your chance to shine as a freelancer and step into the driver’s seat with your client.
You’ll learn how to put your client at ease with the onboarding system, how to facilitate a kick-off call, and deliverables to wrap up the onboarding process.
Here are some things we covered in this episode:
- How to easily onboard clients
- What is onboarding?
- Why is onboarding so important?
- How to screen out clients that may not be the right fit
- Onboarding sets the tone for the entire working relationship
- How to set boundaries during the onboarding process
- Why I am a huge advocate of the psychology of clients
- How to step into the driver seat with your clients
- Why you should create a welcome packet
- What to include in your welcome packet
- How to host a kick-off call
- Examples of what to include during the kick-off call
- Communication to share and obtain during the kick-off call
- Why the kick-off call is more important than a questionnaire
- How to wrap up the onboarding process
- Grab your free onboarding checklist
Laura’s Takeaway: “There will be a much greater sense of relief on their side and knowing that you have a system you are there to guide them through this and they made the awesome choice to work with you. And now this project is going to be a success because so many freelancers don’t do any form of onboarding that it is almost a pleasant surprise for your clients.”
After listening to this episode, share your action steps and take-aways with our group:
Connect With Laura:
Laura Briggs is empowering the freelance generation. Through her public speaking, coaching, and writing, she helps freelancers build the business of their dreams without sacrificing all their time, family, or sanity. Laura burned out as an inner-city middle school teacher before becoming an accidental freelancer with a Google search for “how to become a freelance writer.” Since then, she’s become a contributor to Entrepreneur, Business Insider, and Writer’s Weekly. She worked for more than 300 clients around the world including Microsoft, Truecar, and the Mobile Marketing Association. She’s delivered two TEDx talks on the power of the freelance economy for enabling freedom and flexibility and how it’s being used to address the technical skills gap in the U.S. Laura is the host of the Advanced Freelancing podcast, a sought-after public speaker on the gig and digital freelance economy, and a freelance coach focused on aspiring six-figure freelancers. Laura’s books, courses, and coaching have reached over 10,000 people.
As a military spouse, Laura is passionate about serving her community and founded Operation Freelance, a nonprofit organization that teaches veterans and military spouses how to become freelancers and start their own business.https://oembed.libsyn.com/embed?item_id=19656152