In this episode, I talk with someone who founded a job board. We often interact with job boards when we’re applying to different gigs, but have you ever thought about what goes into setting up a freelance job board?
Today’s episode guest is Lesley Pyle of Hire My Mom. Moms wanting to work from home and get more flexibility and Lesley was way ahead of the curve on recognizing the need to promote hiring mothers and parents.
Not everyone’s path to becoming a freelancer looks the same, but many people are rethinking how and where they work. Starting a freelance side hustle is a great opportunity to explore new passions and decide what’s really best for you.
People who want to work from home have a hard time getting started if they don’t have a pipeline for finding clients. In fact, it’s one of the most common hurdles people experience if they don’t have a solid marketing plan.
If you’re a new mom or have children already, Hire My Mom might be the perfect site for you to learn about new opportunities!
In this episode, we discussed:
- Why becoming a mother let Lesley think more about how her work style was going to change, even when her new feelings were totally unexpected.
- Why getting started with freelancing often means thinking small and staying in a day job and how you should think about that in your own home.
- How Lesley went from being one of the early pioneers working from home to starting her own website to help other people get their own freelance careers started.
- How Hire My Mom started and what it’s grown into today
- What to do if you don’t have the experience to get started as a freelancer working from home?
- Do you really need to have a resume or cover letter when you’re looking at job boards? How can you be best prepared to join a site like Hire My Mom?
- Why you should expect to pay something reasonable for a legitimate freelance job board site.
Lesley Pyle is the founder of HireMyMom.com, a boutique service connecting Entrepreneurs and Small Businesses with top-notch Virtual Professionals across the country founded in 2007. She began her work-at-home career in 1996 with the launch of her first website: Home-Based Working Moms. She has a Master’s degree in Public Relations from the University of Stirling, Scotland while on a full academic scholarship and as an Ambassador of Goodwill for Rotary International. She also has a BA in Journalism / Public Relations from Texas State University. Pyle has been featured in numerous publications including Forbes, Entrepreneur, Wall Street Journal and USA Today. In her spare time, she loves traveling, decorating, football and spending time with family and friends. She and her husband live in Texas and have four children ages 12-24.
Connect with Lesley: