Get ahead of the curve and prepare for a successful and streamlined tax season!
Discover why hiring a CPA with experience working with freelancers is important and what to discuss to ensure that your CPA is growing with you. I share some of the mistakes that I made filing my own taxes and how you can avoid them.
You’ll learn how to create systems for making tax filing easy, tasks that you should be doing to prepare for filing your taxes, and the materials that you need that will produce positive tax impacts.
Here are some things we covered in this episode:
- Why you should hire a CPA
- What type of CPA you should hire
- The mistakes that I experienced in filing my own taxes
- Why you should hire a CPA that will grow with you in your business
- The importance of meeting with your CPA and what to discuss
- What to do if you expect your income to be higher next year
- When you should consider becoming an S-Corp
- What to ask your CPA to produce positive tax impacts
- When you need to send 1099’s
- Filing your 1099 NEC Form
- Tips for organizing 1099 forms from freelance clients
- Tips for double-checking your expenses and accounting numbers
- Why you should invest in accounting software
- Deductions that you can take as a self-employed person
- How automated software can help you file taxes with ease
- Why you should overshare rather than assume your CPA will find deductible expenses
After listening to this episode, share your action steps and take-aways with our group:
Connect With Laura:
Laura Briggs is empowering the freelance generation. Through her public speaking, coaching, and writing, she helps freelancers build the business of their dreams without sacrificing all their time, family, or sanity. Laura burned out as an inner-city middle school teacher before becoming an accidental freelancer with a Google search for “how to become a freelance writer.” Since then, she’s become a contributor to Entrepreneur, Business Insider, and Writer’s Weekly. She worked for more than 300 clients around the world including Microsoft, Truecar, and the Mobile Marketing Association. She’s delivered two TEDx talks on the power of the freelance economy for enabling freedom and flexibility and how it’s being used to address the technical skills gap in the U.S. Laura is the host of the Advanced Freelancing podcast, a sought-after public speaker on the gig and digital freelance economy, and a freelance coach focused on aspiring six-figure freelancers. Laura’s books, courses, and coaching have reached over 10,000 people.
As a military spouse, Laura is passionate about serving her community and founded Operation Freelance, a nonprofit organization that teaches veterans and military spouses how to become freelancers and start their own business.https://oembed.libsyn.com/embed?item_id=19656152