Have you considered growing your freelance business into an agency?
My guest today, Courtney Ross, shares how she pivoted her career into freelancing, and then into a marketing agency. She shares how she scaled by hiring a team, things to look for when hiring, and how delegating helped her work on high-level activities in her business.
You’ll discover how Courtney “monetizes her minutes” and focuses on the services that bring the most ROI. She shares the steps that her team takes when deciding what to offer, the systems needed, and pricing when growing her business.
Learn the mindset shift that made Courtney’s business a success and she used her passion to create a niche and well-known brand.
Here are some things we covered in this episode:
- How Courtney decided to scale her business with a team
- How delegating work allowed Courtney to focus on high-level activities
- Courtney shares how she “monetizes her minutes”
- What Courtney has kept on her plate versus delegating
- Marketing as an agency versus a solopreneur
- Hiring challenges while running an agency
- The value of hiring team members that share a common mission, vision, and values
- Deciding what to offer, systems, and pricing when growing your business
- How to consider the ROI from your services while managing client satisfaction
- What you should track to determine your profitability
- The things that go into how you decide what to offer
- How Courtney fits marketing her business into her schedule
- Courtney shares her mindset shift to making her business a success
- Learn how Courtney when through the ideal client avatar exercise and discovered a niche
- How to use your passion to identify a gap in the market that you can specialize in
- Tips for a referral pipeline
- Creating a brand that people come to know
- Connect with Courtney at: www.sawgrassmktg.com
Courtney Ross is the founder of Sawgrass Marketing, a boutique agency dedicated to creating striking marketing experiences for luxury brands. Since opening in 2017, Courtney has scaled Sawgrass Marketing from a solo entrepreneurship to a team of five and has provided more than 40 businesses with bold branding, intuitive web design, and purpose-driven marketing strategy. Courtney is the proud wife of a U.S. Marine, mother of two girls, and currently calls Japan home.
After listening to this episode, share your action steps and take-aways with our group:
Connect With Laura:
Laura Briggs is empowering the freelance generation. Through her public speaking, coaching, and writing, she helps freelancers build the business of their dreams without sacrificing all their time, family, or sanity. Laura burned out as an inner-city middle school teacher before becoming an accidental freelancer with a Google search for “how to become a freelance writer.” Since then, she’s become a contributor to Entrepreneur, Business Insider, and Writer’s Weekly. She worked for more than 300 clients around the world including Microsoft, Truecar, and the Mobile Marketing Association. She’s delivered two TEDx talks on the power of the freelance economy for enabling freedom and flexibility and how it’s being used to address the technical skills gap in the U.S. Laura is the host of the Advanced Freelancing podcast, a sought-after public speaker on the gig and digital freelance economy, and a freelance coach focused on aspiring six-figure freelancers. Laura’s books, courses, and coaching have reached over 10,000 people.
As a military spouse, Laura is passionate about serving her community and founded Operation Freelance, a nonprofit organization that teaches veterans and military spouses how to become freelancers and start their own business.https://oembed.libsyn.com/embed?item_id=19656152